Help using the SiStat Database
If you wish to obtain additional information about data in the SiStat Database, please send your question to email@example.com.
If you wish to obtain detailed information about the data in tables, you can submit the question directly to the person preparing the data. You can find information on the contact person by clicking the "About table" tab located above the data selection fields (example of the data selection fields).
How to search for data in the SiStat Database?
You can access the data in the SiStat Database in two ways.
With the search engine
You can use the search engine to search for a specific text and/or codes. Currently each theme has its own search field (e. g. Demography and social statistics). To use the search engine, you need to enter a desired string into the search field and click the magnifying glass icon. Then a list of table names that match your search criteria is generated (example for the search string "population"). You can select a table by clicking its title.
If the search engine returns too many search hits, try with a more specific query. To do that, you can use the search filters that appear after you have used the search engine for the first time.
The default search setting in the filters is "Search All". You can also search by table title, value name, and value code, which allows for a more accurate search.
You can use the tree view to browse the data. If you click the table icon, a list of table titles from the selected (sub)theme is generated, including basic table information (example for subtheme "museums and galleries"). You can open the table by clicking its title.
Hint: You can also edit the table on your computer (locally). In this case, click the link "Save”. This will save the table to your computer, where you can view or edit it using the PX-Win tool designed for viewing files in the PX format. The English version of PX-Win is available here.
How to choose data to display in the table?
After clicking the desired table title, you will be able to select values for each variable (e.g. municipality, gender, and year) in the data selection fields.
This means that if you are interested in how many residents were in employment in municipality Šenčur in 2015, you have to select values in the following variables: “municipality”, “year” and “persons in employment” in the selected table “Persons in employment by municipalities of employment, Slovenia, annually”. In this case you have to select: " Šenčur ", "2015" and "Persons in employment - TOTAL".
Having selected the desired values, click the "Continue" button. If the drop down menu before the button shows the option “Table – Layout 2” (default option), the table with selected values will be shown (example for the above table).
If you selected a different option from the drop-down list (for example, the PX file, the Excel file, the JSON file), the file with the table in the selected record will be saved to your computer.
Some useful tips to help you select the data
- Presentation of data on screen is limited to 2,000 rows and 250 columns. For a more extensive display of data, you need to export it to your computer in various available formats (Excel, CSV, PX).
- For variables marked with an asterisk (*) at least one value has to be selected (e.g. in the above example you need to choose the year).
- Within each variable you can choose one, several or all values (e.g. all years).
- To select several values, hold CTRL and left click the desired values.
- To select a group of consecutive values, hold SHIFT and left click the first value and the last value.
- If you want to select all values at the same time, click the icon with the check mark.
- If you want to clear the selection, you can do this by clicking the empty square icon.
- Values can be sorted alphabetically or by number (e.g. year) by clicking one of the arrow icons (up or down).
- Value(s) can also be selected by using the search engine below the list of values. The engine will show all values containing the entered letters and/or numbers.
How to present the data from the table?
- The data presented in the table can be edited and calculated, shown on charts, sorted and/or exported in various file formats (Excel, CSV, JSON, etc.).
- The selected data can be saved as a query for further use.
- You can hide the rows with zero values »0« or the rows with statistical signs that are replacing the statistical data.
Statistical signs Meaning - no occurrence of event ... not available z confidential M less precise estimate – use with caution N too imprecise estimate to be published
How to use APIs?
You can also access the data in the SiStat Database using the API, which enables you to automate reading and use of the data. You can access the API information for a single table by selecting the values you want in the table data selection fields and clicking "Continue". You will be taken to a new page. On that page click the "About table" tab. You will then notice the "API query for this table" link. By clicking the link, you will get information about the URL address and the JSON query that you need to use to get the same data layout through the API as shown in the table.