Help using the SiStat Database
If you wish to obtain additional information about data in the SiStat Database, please send your question to email@example.com.
If you wish to obtain detailed information about data in tables, you can send the question directly to the person preparing the data. The contact person is located in the Data picker within the tab “About table” under “Information” (display of the Data picker).
How to search for data?
Data in tables can be searched in two ways:
How to choose a table?
If you use the search engine for searching tables, you will see a list of tables meeting the search criteria (example for the search string "population"). You can choose the table by clicking on one of the search hits.
If you use the tree structure of themes and sub-themes, a click on the sub-theme will show a list of all tables from the selected theme with basic data (example for sub-theme "museums and galleries"). The table can be chosen by clicking on its title.
Additional option: In the list of all tables from the selected sub-theme you can click on “Download” and save the table on your computer, where you can view and/or edit it with PX-Win. PX-Win is intended for viewing files in px format and is available here.
How to choose data from the table?
After the table is selected, you will be able to choose the data. For each table the desired values for individual variables (e.g. year or municipality) can be selected. For example, if you are interested in how many residents were in paid employment in municipality Šenčur in 2015, in the selected table »Persons in employment by municipalities of employment, Slovenia, annually« you select values in the following variables: year, municipality and »persons in paid employment«.
When the desired values are selected, click »Continue«. If the drop down menu before the button shows the option “Table – Layout 2”, the table with selected values will be shown (example for the above table).
If another option is selected (e.g. PX-file, Excel, JSON-stat file), the file with the table in the selected format will be saved on your computer.
- If you wish to obtain all data in the table, you can transfer the entire table in px format.
- For variables marked * at least one value has to be selected (e.g. in the above example you need to choose year).
- Within each variable you can choose one, several or all values (e.g. all years).
- To select several values, hold CTRL and left click the desired values.
- To select a group of consecutive values, hold SHIFT and left click the first value and the last value.
- By clicking the arrow icon you select all values and by clicking the minus icon you deselect all values.
- Values can be sorted alphabetically or by number (e.g. year) by clicking one of the arrow icons (up or down).
- Value(s) can also be selected by using the search engine below the list of values. The engine will show all values containing the entered letters and/or numbers.
How to present the data from the table?
- Presentation of data on screen is limited to 2,000 rows and 250 columns.
- The data presented in the table can be edited and calculated, shown on charts, sorted and/or exported in various file formats (Excel, CSV, JSON , etc.).
- The selected data can be saved as a query for further use.
- You can hide the rows with zero values »0« or the rows with statistical signs (e.g. '-' – no occurrence of event, 'z' – confidential, 'M' – less precise estimate).
How to use API
You can also access the data in the SiStat Database using the API, which enables you to automate reading and using of the data. You can access the API information for a single table by selecting the categories you want in the table data selection and clicking "Continue". You will be taken to a new page. On that page click on the tab "About table". You will then notice a link called "API query for this table". By clicking on the link, you will get information about the URL address and the JSON query that you need to use to get the same data through the API as shown in the table.